Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Un-Halloween school parties... anyone else out there have these?

Counting pumpkin seeds.
And pomegrante seeds.
Just going from class to class, eating anything she is offered. My kind of girl!

Happy Hack-o-ween everyone!!! We hope that you are having a super day! Haley, Reed and I just returned from being at Luke & Macy's school for their un-Halloween parties. Macy has someone in her class who doesn't celebrate Halloween, so they couldn't. They are currently studying communities in the 2nd grade, so they had a community pajama party. They opened the wall between 2 of the classrooms, learned about motion and gravity and then built some roller coasters, and then had treats - carrots, apples, grapefruit. Hello? Bring on the cupcakes, please! I had many a cupcake as a kid (still do for that matter!) and I grew up ok. At least I think so...




So then I go to Luke's class for their un-Halloween party. Their teacher got more into it, but again, they have someone with strict allergies in their class, so all the treats had to be pre-approved so that the mom could go out ahead of time and check the ingredients in them. Again, I never died... nor did anyone else in any of my classes. At least, not that I know of. So anyways, Luke's class had cupcakes, juice, and some other treats, but the cool thing was the teacher had some learning involved too. She cut open a pumpkin, and the kids took bets on how many seeds were inside and then proceeded to count. There were around 637. They also did this with a pomegrante. Don't know how many were in there though. (Ok, so just got updated. Apparently, there are roughly 1067 seeds between two pomegrantes. Just in case anyone ever asks.) I accused the teacher of doing this just so she wouldn't have to, and she laughed. That's one way to get the guts out of your pumpkin. Sheeesh, I'm taking all our pumpkins to school next year to "get the seeds counted"!


See... you can learn all sorts of things on our blog!

No comments: