Thursday, December 03, 2009

My heart is sad - again.

**WARNING - THIS IS A HEAVY POST.

Yesterday, a little girl in our school came home to find both of her parent's dead. Self-inflicted. A first-grader. She walks out and finds a neighbor and tells him that her parents have been shot. The neighbor calls the police who show up and in turn call our school principal, the little girls' teacher and our school counselor who show up immediately to take care of the little girl and take her to her nearby grandmother. In the past 5 weeks, 7 cases of domestic abuse such as this have happened in the Portland area. What is our world coming to? It makes me so sad that some people find this to be the only answer. And now, what about the little girl. What happens to her, and how will it affect her?

Derrick and I have had a rough year this year. Not with us, we are totally good, but our circumstances in general. Derrick was involved in a company lay-off last year, about this same time, and it took about 8 1/2 months for him to find another full-time job. We are still trying to play catch up, and probably will for quite a while... but this is never the option.

Then, this morning, I email an old friend to wish him a happy birthday (yesterday), and he informs me that he spent the day in the ICU with his dad. His dad had fallen down the stairs on Tuesday night, stayed there unconscious all night until the housekeeper found him the next morning. He is now in a coma and had to have his brain drilled to relieve some of the swelling. This is a great man. A giant of a man, who is now laying in a coma.

I am just sad today, and wanted to share some of it. Sorry... but sometimes the sad has to go with the good. But truly, it makes our problems seem not that bad. Yes, they are ruling my life right now, and control my almost every waking moment, but I am thankful for all that I do have. For the family who loves and supports me no matter what; for all my many friends who always take care of me; for our faith and knowing of our Heavenly Father who loves us and protects us the best he can; for our health; for our home, for our school, where a principal and teachers will drop everything to take care of a lost little girl; for our freedom... there's just so much to be thankful for, and every so often, I need to be reminded of it.

Please keep this lost little girl and my friend's dad in your prayers. They can both greatly use them right now.

2 comments:

Poppy said...

That is sooo sad. I had a good friend take her own life this past year and there are just no words to make it better. It really does put our own struggles into perspective, though. What a good time to remember the Savior and all that he has done for our sorrows.

Administrator said...

Dear Shannon and family,
It is so disheartening when it seems as though sadness and misfortune are raining down around us. Remembering the light that you and your family bring into the world and into the lives of so many others is so key to staying grounded and strong for those who need support. You are truly a force for good in the world. I hold these individuals and these circumstances in prayer for their highest and best good. Take good care.