Wednesday, July 01, 2009

It's "jamming" time!

Macy, Sierra and Reed mashing up all the raspberries.
Look at that ratio. Works out to 3 cups mashed raspberries to 5 1/4 cups sugar. The healthy outweighs all the sugar... right?

The finished product. Now, we can take some to our brand new neighbors as a "welcome to the neighborhood" gift. The glass jar is definately prettier, but the plastic ones were cheaper. Going for cheaper here.


So last week, some of our friends', the Allens, made raspberry jam. I was totally jealous. I know nothing about making jam, very not up my alley, but I desperately wanted to do it anyway (I really want to make salsa with my own home-grown tomatoes too... now... if only the tomatoes would cooperate and grow! Grow, tomatoes, grow!!!). So, I bought some raspberries, got some jars and some pectin (what the heck is "pectin" anyway???), gathered my team, and off we went to make some raspberry freezer jam. Oh my gosh! I think it is one of the best things I've ever tasted! So few ingredients, so much sugar, and so, so yummy!!! Chad keeps asking me why we need to let it set up and use it as jam... why we can't just drink it out of the containers??? I'm really not sure... I'm almost tempted to drink it myself! Now, we have some blackberries to try... and then on to strawberries. Just gotta get some more of that pectin stuff!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

wow, that is very cool. I want to learn.