Sunday, August 26, 2007

Happy Feet?

We did it! We finished the Portland to Coast (walking) relay race! The Hood to Coast race is a running one and it goes for 195 miles. Our team name was Happy Feet, and I tell you my feet aren't so happy today!!! Anyways, our first van started at 9:00 am on Friday morning and walked until about 4:00 pm, then it was our turn. I was the first walker. 5.89 miles, 85 degrees, up and down all these hills. I didn't even go one mile before I was wondering how the heck I had gotten involved in this! I thought I was going to melt and die!!! Anyways, between me and the other 5 people in my van, we walked until about midnight Friday night, then woke up the first team so that they could continue on. We slept - really only about 1 hour because others around us thought it would be fun to have a party at about 3:00 am - and then it was our turn again. I started again for our team at about 5:58 am, dark, raining, but only like 4.08 miles this time. Much better! Our van ended the final leg of the race in Seaside, OR, right on the beach. In total, our team walked 127 miles in a bit over 24 hours. In our category, which was male mixed walking, we came in #25 out of 134 teams. Not too bad, huh?

A lot of work, and boy, did we smell bad when all was said and done, but oh, so much fun! I will definately do it again next year! And Liz (one of my teammates and friends) and I committed to look really good in Spandex by then!!! Keep your fingers crossed!

Will post pics as soon as I get them!

No comments: